The dentist examines the mouth and the teeth to spot decay or other problems. The dentist will also look for any signs of gum disease, oral cancer or other health problems with your tongue and mouth.
When do you come for a teeth examination?
Routine dental exam is recommended every 6 months to diagnose dental disease at a very early stage. This helps to treat the disease before any sort of pain creeps in. Since most of the dental problems are not painful at the early stage and also most common dental diseases are preventable, it is better to have the teeth checked every 6 months.
Treatment in our dental clinic
The dentist would do a comprehensive exam before starting any procedure. X-Rays will be required to do the comprehensive exam which will include the thorough inspection of your teeth. The dentist would look how your jaws are aligned and whether your bite is correct (no over-bite or under-bite). If you have cavities, gum disease or other problems, dentist will discuss the next steps and explain what work needs to be done and what are the various options.If you have pain or an immediate problem, your dentist may focus with these issues first, before doing the comprehensive exam and cleaning. The course and order of treatment depends on the state of your dental health.
Most common reasons for a teeth examination
- Bleeding gums (when you brush or floss)
- Sensitivity to hot or cold
- Diabetes and/or cardiovascular disease related issues
- Difficulty chewing
- Dry mouth
- Hereditary oral problems
- Oral odour
- Pain or swelling in your mouth and/or surrounding areas
- Patients undergoing medical treatments such as radiation, chemotherapy or hormone replacement therapy
- Puffy gums
- Smoker or user of other tobacco products
- Unusual mouth sores
Benefits of Dental Exam
Dental problems that you cannot always see or feel can be detected during an oral examination like:
- Dental caries
- Deterioration of fillings
- Early signs of gum disease
- Early signs oral cancer
- Other problems that could affect your general health
- Signs and symptoms of some general health problems can be seen in the mouth